With help from supporters like you, last year, amid the ongoing challenges of the pandemic, Sapientia was able to grow its three main programs:
1. Three year Teacher Certification Program (Riverside Initiative for the Alexander Technqiue (RIAT TCP)), one of the largest and most diverse 1600 hour AT teacher certification programs in the world:he U.S.
- offered safe in-person teacher training 6 days a week, 34 weeks of the year, and is currently enrolled with 14 candidates training to be teachers
- graduated 3 nationally certified teachers, and enrolled 5 new candidates training to be teachers
- continued to build its faculty — currently with a total of over 100 years of teaching experience, drawing teachers from some of the most well-respected collegiate programs in the U.S.
- continued to offer weekly hybrid learning options keeping everyone connected and ready pivot when necessary
- implemented the beginning of online lesson scheduling
- continued to provide post graduate training, learning, and teaching opportunities to graduates
2. Sapientia Series Group Classes for the general public:
- featured safe in-person, as well as hybrid, classes in the Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer
- provided a wide variety of AT and AT-related classes
3. Community Outreach Program for low-income individuals
- subsidized discounted Alexander lessons for low-income individuals through a first-of-its-kind community outreach program
- optimized the application/teacher pairing process
Last year Sapientia also:
- automated the rental of teaching rooms in our center in the Flatiron district, one of the most beautiful and supportive centers in NYC dedicated solely to the study of the Alexander Technique
- initiated a grant prospecting process to broaden support for special programming
- expanded, catalogued, and digitized Sapientia’s library
And so much more! During these unprecedented times, Sapientia has offered a place of continued learning, community & connection for NYC’s Alexander community.
Please join our efforts to preserve what is essential to the Alexander Technique, ensure its crucial relevance for today’s challenges, expand access to it, and move it into a more diverse, equitable and inclusive future.
Nan and Team Sapientia
Sapientia Initiative is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, and your tax-deductible contribution will go far in supporting our community programs and in our ability to offer financial aid for teacher trainees. Contact us to learn more.